Now that my midterms are over, I’ve been using all of my energy to think about Spring Break. Since it’s disgusting and rainy and insanely un-Spring-Break-y outside today, I’ve had some trouble focusing on the week ahead. I could write this blog post about Spring Break and Jamaica and 80 degree weather (!!!!), but instead I decided to do something that would make me less basic (that’s what this whole thing was all about in the first place, wasn’t it?).
And so I watched Will Forte’s awesome new show, “Last Man on Earth.” It’s pretty much the talk of the internet this week, so it seemed only right that I take some of my precious time and devote it to this worthy cause.
I agree with the reviews — the show was great. I wasn’t really sure what to expect, but Will Forte did not disappoint in the pilot. I really enjoyed the strange, quirky comedy that’s set to replace Girls in my lineup. (Sorry Mom, I know you’re going to be upset that I’ve added another show to my roster…)
I don’t want to spoil anything, but basically Will Forte plays the last man alive after a virus wipes out the entire country. He does lots of weird things with his newfound freedom — he wears Hugh Hefner’s pajamas, decorates his new mansion with Rembrandts and the Declaration of Independence, and basically lives in his own squalor. It’s everything you would expect from Will Forte: light/enjoyable/weird/wonderful.
Inspired by the show, here are my thoughts about being the last woman on earth. Because if I’ve learned anything as a millennial, it’s that people love lists.
1. I would immediately move to Ikea. THIS PLACE HAS EVERYTHING.
2. Try to find an Ikea somewhere warm and tropical and completely different than this wintery-mix-rainy-hellhole that is North Carolina right now.
3. Maybe I could live in Florida. I’m generally opposed to Florida but if I could go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter WITHOUT waiting in the lines, I might be less of a hater. Plus, I could talk to Fake Dumbledore about my problems and it would be amazing.
4. Orlando definitely has an Ikea I think.
5. I’d have to stock up on sunscreen (because Florida).
6. Rethinking Florida… because alligators.
7. Will Forte lives in Arizona. That is not where I would live.
8. I’d probably also steal famous paintings and put them up around my home. Monets on Monets on Monets.
9. I would spend all of my free time (so all of my time) practicing singing show tunes and nobody to stop me!!!!
10. Will Forte doesn’t bathe, but I think I would definitely have to bathe.
11. I wonder if Wifi still works. It would be nice to watch whatever I want on Netflix while chillin in Diagon Alley.
12. I think being the Last Woman on Earth would be less boring than living on Bachelor Chris’ farm in Iowa.